Monday, March 28, 2011

Khmerpop Comps


So I used to make everyone in the computer lab listen to these two 1960's Cambodian Cassette Compilations my senior year of high school (needless to say I was totally the most popular kid).

On first listen, it's all so...well, Asian. But when you listen to it some more, you'll start to see elements of Western jazz and blues. There's no getting around just how culturally significant this music is. It's a miracle that these cassette archives survived the Khmer Rouge, which attempted to purge Cambodia of its native Khmer identity by burning books, tapes, records, and artwork. This is honestly some of the wackiest music I've ever listened to, but I really do love it.


Notable tracks: "Two Wives Are Twice The Problem", and "Don't Let My Girlfriend Tickle Me" (And yeah I may prefer those because I think the titles are the best ever.)


Notable tracks include "Yuvajon Kouge Jet", "Jeas Cyclo", and "Rom Jongvak Twist" 

This is what I listen to when I listen to too much hardcore.  

No comments:

Post a Comment