Thursday, March 10, 2011

AA, Essential Entertainment (1981)



I'm gonna start off by saying that there is barely any information on this band. Their only EP was limited to 900 copies and they released on the obscure label "Sexy Robot." HoboFM has a few good tidbits though, writing:


Belgium's AA formed in 1980 with the express purpose of undermining the music circus and doing things their own way. They pressed their debut ep "Essential Entertainment" themselves and traveled Europe by train, slanging records out of cardboard boxes. They were also known for hijacking venues: storming the stage after a band played, 'borrowing' their instruments, and exploding through a short set. Just as they started to get noticed for their easy post-punk and angular style they disbanded. They realized that they were on the verge of becoming a 'real band'.

I don't know whether these guys are assholes or geniuses, but I don't care--Essential Entertainment is one of my favorite EPs ever. The four tracks are post-punk of the highest quality, with unfaltering basslines and the classic drawn out, slightly monotone vocals. I'm not doing it justice with this description, so I'm just going to hope that you download it and agree with me.

1 comment: