Thursday, February 17, 2011

Songs About Fucking



Big Black's 1987 album Songs About Fucking is one of my all time favorites. It suffices to say that Steve Albini is a genius, and everything he's ever done is awesome. However much I love Rapeman and Shellac--Big Black will always have a special place in my heart.

From the driving, paralyzed "Tiny, King of the Jews" to the relentless, pissy pop hit "He's A Whore" (recorded with Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick) to the absolutely kick ass cover of Kraftwerk's "The Model," Songs About Fucking is BB's best release, and shows the widest range of their musical creativity. In the style of classic punk bands, the tracks don't drag on--they're crisp, fast, and raw as fuck. The first few times through the album, it's grating, foreign, repulsive. But it's also catchy--a shifty, sweaty amphetamine high.

I think I fucked your
girlfriend once.
Maybe twice, I don't remember
Then I fucked all your
friends' girlfriends
Now they hate you.



No comments:

Post a Comment