Sunday, October 20, 2013

Name Change etc.

Hey world. I decided after some consideration that it was time to change my blog name and URL. I've been using the name Apache Fashion for a few years now, as the name of this blog and also as my old radio show on WNYU. The name is actually taken from a song called "Apache Fashion Dream" by the Homostupids, a band I'm consistently amused by and that I think embodied the sense off offbeat noise rock humor I wanted to capture when I originally began the show. However, after beginning to think seriously about cultural appropriation, I don't think I should continue to be using "Apache Fashion" as a moniker. I chose the name two years ago, just before two high profile gaffes made by corporations (Victoria's Secret and Urban Outfitters) prompted a more thorough discussion of what it means to appropriate cultural symbolism. Though my use of the name is a reference to something else entirely, I don't want it to be misconstrued as flippant or insensitive. Hence, I'm switching to UPS Freakout, a nod to Longmont Potion Castle, which looking at the stats is actually the #1 reason people end up on this blog anyways.

In addition, my new radio show starts up next week on WNYU, Tuesdays 12pm-2pm: No Wave No Fun. I'll be focusing minimal synth, coldwave, no wave, and industrial.

No comments:

Post a Comment