Monday, October 22, 2012

Floating Into The Night


I'm not the biggest David Lynch fan, but his work with Julee Cruise and Angelo Badalamenti immediately grabbed me. In my opinion, "Falling" is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard, both with and without the vocals. The album is processed to the point where every percussive element is muted, the vocals are devoid of any tension or assonance, and the entire thing just flows. Cruise's voice isn't particularly distinctive, and the synth chords are dated as hell--but each aspect of this collaboration is so flawlessly pulled off that I can't get it out of my head. Nostalgic and indulgent, but also very unsettling. I would venture to say that it sounds like a more sinister Beach House mixed up with Goblin's soundtrack to Suspiria.


No comments:

Post a Comment