Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pauline Oliveros: Electronic Works 1965-1966



 "I think about using all these delays as a time machine. Because when I play something in the present, then it's delayed and comes back in the future. So that's expanding time. That's the idea there. It's not about just one delay, it's about a whole lot of them. I've got it up to the point now where I can actually use about twenty delays. If you're in a space, you're hearing delays all the time, different time-scales. What I got interested in, long ago, was the coloration of sound that happens in a space. This happens because of delays, so I wanted to work with that."

- Oliveros, Pink Noises: Women On Electronic Music and Sound (Rodgers, 2010)

Pauline Oliveros is a badass.





Also related to sound delay in music, Radiolab has a great interview with Zoe Keating of Rasputina called "Quantum Delay," which can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment